Thursday, June 12, 2014

A Firsthand Experience on Living with Type 2 Diabetes


A Firsthand Experience on Living with Type 2 Diabetes



In an interview with a 66-year old male who has been living with type 2 diabetes for 33 years, the effects of his condition on lifestyle, budget, and relationships are revealed.

Lifestyle
Q: What’s going on in your life at this time?
A: Truthfully, I am so bored. I’d like to have a little job, but I’m legally blind. I’d like to work. I can’t do my hobbies. The dog is the best thing; she’s always at my side. She’s real company. I can do some yard work. You know what’s the worst? Losing the ability to drive is the worst.
Q: What type of diabetes do you have?
A: Type 2 – since 1981
Q: Does this run in your family?
A: Yes, my mother had it. Her grandfather had it, and my father’s niece has had it since she was really young. Now she’s a year older than me. That would make her 67.
Q: How did you discover that you had diabetes?
A: I just went to the doctor for a physical. When the blood work results came in, the doctor told me, ‘I hate to tell you, but your mother didn’t do you any favors, you have diabetes.’
Q: At what age was that?
A: 33.
Q: When you learned of your disease, did you seek to educate yourself about diabetes? If so, how did you get information?
A: No. I didn’t seek any education at all. I didn’t do what I was told. The doctor prescribed a strict diet. I just sort of brushed it off because I felt fine.
Q: Describe your activity level before your diabetes.
A: Activity-wise, we (Bernice and I) used to go to the IBM Club for the gym, but that got expensive. It went up one year from $200 to $500 and that was expensive then. I used to play golf and I always walked the course. I never used a cart. The gym? We dropped it altogether, but I still felt fine.


Treatment
Q: What type(s) of treatment have you had?
A: At first…injections. That was a pain. A syringe and a needle, and it hurt. I didn’t like it first, using a vial, now they have the pen, which is much better. It’s more convenient. It’s so tiny, easier, and painless.
I was taking two pills and injecting insulin into the right side of my belly. I use the pen though. You see, I have a dialysis catheter on the left side of my belly so I try to stay away from that. So, I inject myself in the right side, but they took the pills away because of the kidneys. The dialysis just flushes it away.
Q: Do you have medical insurance?
A: Yes. I’m on my wife’s plan and I have Medicare.
Q: What is the approximate cost of your treatment monthly or annually?
A: It’s not bad really. Back in the day, syringes and the vials weren’t too much. I’d buy three boxes of 100 at a time. It was like $3 a box, and the vials, the same thing. I’d buy a 90-day supply. That was more, oh, around $60-$65. They included the alcohol wipes and everything. Now, the pills have stopped, because dialysis would flush it right out.
Q: Did you ever have the pump?
A: I never had the pump; but my cousin in Virginia has it.
Q: How often do you monitor your glucose level?
A: All the time. I have all kinds of monitors around here, I even have a talking meter to monitor my glucose level. That’s the one I like the best. It talks to me.
You know what’s funny? I feel like I have to wash my hands all the time. I have to wash my hands constantly. What’s on your hands can affect the reading. So, I wash my hands a lot. I don’t want it to affect the reading.


Relationships
Q: Has this meant hardship on your family?
A: When I retired, I went on disability. I’m legally blind and I had to stop driving. So, yeah, my wife has to do the driving and take me to doctors’ appointments. She has to help with the in-home dialysis too. I’m sure I am an inconvenience to her.
Q: What was your level of physical activity prior to your diagnosis?
A: I was much, much more active.
Q: Compare that to your current level of activity.
A: Night and day, I’m bored. I can putter around the yard and walk and all, but what really bugs me is I can’t drive to go anywhere.
Q: How has your health changed since your diagnosis?
A: Diabetes led to sight impairment which led to kidney failure and now I’m on dialysis. I’m on the waiting list for a kidney transplant. That can take years. Since the dialysis started almost a year ago, I’ve lost 30 pounds.  
Q: Describe your diet prior to diabetes.  
A: Lots of pasta. I was always cooking for the firehouse. Before dialysis, I could eat a limited amount of protein. That changed though. Now on dialysis, they tell me I need more protein – drinks, bars, meats, and fish. They also have these packets you add to water or any liquid. I like them with water. They have them in grape, orange, lemonade, and peach/mango. I like to mix them with water. They’re supposed to be loaded with protein.
Q: Did you change your diet after your diagnosis?
A: No, not then, but I lowered my carbs since my eyesight started to fail. I eat no sweets, all sugar free. That is rewarding. I can’t tell the difference between sweet and sugar free. Not anymore. 
Q: Does your wife eat the same way you do now?
A: Yes, but she still like her desserts. My wife has diabetes now too, she takes a pill and that seems to work for her. She’s still big though.


I did the A1C three-month study. I’m good there. They want you to be below 6. I’m usually right there. They used to want it below 7. They keep lowering the numbers they want you to have.
Q: How has your health changed over time?
A: Well, now they want me on a heart monitor because my blood pressure is low. They’re bringing it to me. I’ll be on the heart monitor for 24 hours. It has gone down in the last five weeks.
Q: How much?
A: It’s dropped from the 60s into the 30s. I have to write down my activities for 24 hours too. I went for an echocardiogram and he tells me I have I don’t know what, but it’s like a heart murmur. Sort of a leaky valve? I had it last year too when I had the echocardiogram taken, but he never mentioned it to me then. I asked him what are you going to do about it. He said nothing. We’re going to keep an eye on it.
I know I have A-fib. My eyesight has been affected, and I have kidney failure. I’m on dialysis. It’s my own fault really.
Q: How long ago did you lose vision?
A: My eyes went seven years ago. That’s when I retired. When I retired I became eligible for disability. I get my Social Security, my pension. I have medical insurance and Medicare. I’m still on my wife’s insurance. When she retires, I’m going to have to get something else for a supplement.
My minute, fine eyesight is gone. So like, I can’t use the computer, but I can see the big screen TV.
I can travel and everything; but I just don’t. Baxter will send you what you need to the place you’re going, anywhere. Baxter supplies the dialysis equipment.
I lost 30 pounds since dialysis begin almost a year ago. I’m down to 200 pounds.
Q: What insight, advice, or recommendation do you have for a person newly diagnosed with diabetes?
A: Pay attention to what the doctor says. Do what you’re supposed to do. Don’t brush it off. Educate yourself. There’s a lot of information out there, get it. Diabetes was less prevalent back when I was diagnosed. Now, a great deal of attention is being given to diabetes. It wasn’t like that when I was first diagnosed. There’s so much you can learn. You really have to learn and do it.


In this videoclip, NBC reporter Terri Chappell interviews Dr. Daniel Longquist, chiropractic physician and e-book author, from Grand Junction, Colorado. Longquist offers dietary guidelines for persons with type 2 diabetes. The discussion focuses on ways to prevent and reverse the condition. 

Resources

Interview with Jim Pega. June 12, 2014.
American Diabetes Association
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHss2_EMbYA

No comments:

Post a Comment